Thursday, October 21, 2010

Yo, I'm American

     An American can first be described as an individual who is a resident of the United States of America. Usually you are considered an American as long as you were raised in there. I personally consider anyone who has an American accent, and shares "the American dream" to be an American because I see them as defining characteristics. America, unlike many places, allows its residence to rise in society or fall. The option is solely in the hands of the resident.  Some describe an American as being a person who is a product of various cultures mixing in a "melting pot." This joining signifies a diverse nation that possesses people with various appearances, as well as more complex origins.
        I technically became an American when I was born in America, but as I grew, I adopted more American habits. These habits are little things like the food I eat, the way I talk, the accent in my voice, and the places that I visit. All of these factors made me an American at heart. The American dream is also what makes me an American. Although usually used by non-residents of the U.S, the American dream deals with new opportunities, and a way to make a new life for oneself. For me, a native born citizen, the American dream provides me with benefits. This list includes things like running for president and applying for a job. An American in my full definition is essentially an individual who has been given the opportunity to change their life with their own hands (must be legal).

2 comments:

  1. I think the idea of America being a melting pot is true. The people here are a mix of different cultures. Also Americans get to choose how they are going to live by the choices they make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, i agree also. along with the literal sense of being American haha.

    ReplyDelete