Friday, October 29, 2010

The House of The Seven Gables. Hmmmmmm Anything interesting?

Firstly, I find it interesting that this story is classified as nonfiction, and is, in fact, a real account. This I find interesting because there is a touring at a place called "House of the Seven Gables." This part of information kind of makes me want to learn about how the home survived, and received renovation, and so on because in the book, the home was dilapidated, and lacked what one maay consider ideal living conditionings. At the same time, it makes me kind of not want to read about it because history isn't exactly my favorite thing to learn about. Like in the book, the site is in Salem, Massachusetts. I find it interesting what exactly this home does. It says that The House of the Seven Gables offers programs for CHILDREN. If I recall correctly, the main character of the book's first real customer was a child that was coming back from school. Maybe this could symbolize how a mere child was the first customer she ever had. Maybe this could foreshadow that there will be more children that begin to visits Hipzebah's shop, and this business will help her throughout the future. Since the home has received renovations, I can only guess that somehow business received a form of boost since the home still stands. I find one fact interesting. This simple fact is that Nathaniel Hawthorne was actually the owner. This makes me think that maybe he had to performs jobs similar to Hepzibah or perhaps he showed how perhaps a neighbor could have lived. If this is true though, the hoise may never have been dilapidated, the proof being that it still exists after all these years. I still find it bewildering the author's purpose in writing the story. Why couldn't it be more of a lineage of his own family rather than a completely made up casts that inhabited his his current home

1 comment:

  1. hmmmmmmmmmmm... this goes against what i found. somewhat. so i can say i somewhat agree yet i most definitely agree w/ the fact that it's like a history book makes it uninteresting due to the fact me [and you] + history = boredom.

    ReplyDelete